Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Welcomed to Canada

Made it to Canada! And even better it is with a valid work visa! You can start singing now. It’s allowed, I won’t scream of frustration at you. Oh Canada … my home and blah blah blah… Okay I have something to learn...  To say the least getting through the Canadian immigration system has been a challenge.  After exactly two months of playing the waiting game the official verification later arrived.  However, ironically it had to arrive the week I am attempting recover from an ear infection.  Alas by now I have recovered after a round of antibiotics.  I am writing this to you from a company desk in Woss or the Englewood Operations Office.  It is a stop point on my way to Port McNeill as I wait for John Something to finish his work duties to drive up there. 

After a series of emails it was decided to begin work on August 5, 2014 in Campbell River.  I took the Bolt Bus from Portland to Vancouver, BC on Sunday August 2nd. There were a few tense minutes when I was almost positive the bus was going to leave without me because the border patrol guard was taking so darn long.  Turned out I was not in the system after failing to register with the CIC. (Lesson noted…)  A sigh of relief left me as I rushed back to the bus next to Camille Moyer a fellow OSU wood science friend who happened to be on the same bus bound for IFSS.  My Holiday Work Visa was verified and delivered.  My passport now being a bit thicker I can officially and legally work in Canada.  

Arriving in Vancouver I took a quick bus ride to my bed for the night.  Found on Airbnb.com I relaxed on the outdoor porch most of the afternoon while working on the online poetry course I had signed up for during my long period of waiting.  It was almost too hot to do anything anyways; I decided I had seen enough of Vancouver earlier this summer.  Monday morning I walked around the nearby Queen Elizabeth Gardens to admire the flowers and city view.  That afternoon I hopped on the smallest plane I had ever been on to fly to Campbell River. It only took about 35 minutes but it was tight.  Bending low to maneuver to an available seat on the wing I clambered out to the tiny airport. My host kindly picked me up and allowed a pass by the grocery store. 


Tuesday morning began with a trip to the main office to meet with Ray.  He took me to the Service Canada Centre to obtain a SIN number to begin work.  It was almost like the DMV.  After meeting nearly everyone in the Campbell River office John gave me a 45 minute ride up to his office in Woss. I got to meet all the people around the Woss or Englewood Office too. In total at least fifty people.  Port McNeill this evening and who knows what tomorrow will bring but at least I will have my boots!  Birks do not necessarily cut it on the slopes of BC.
Log trucks parked near a railroad loading station in Woss


1 comment: