Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Late Summer Play Time


The exploration of Vancouver Island has continued as the summer extends into September. The weather at the North Island has been fantastic.  It almost cannot be too hot or sunny. The extra dose of sunshine has extended happy adventures available on here.  I'm going to describe a little bit of the fun I have been having on the weekends when I am not working.  

One Saturday I took time to explore Malcolm Island.  It is about a 20 minute ferry ride from Port McNeill.  The main and only town on the Island is Sointula of maybe 500 people.  Finnish settlers hoping to create a utopian society originally established it.  Their hopes eventually faded but left a charming village with welcoming feel to it.  The goal was to  experience Salmon Days, the annual festival and hike to Beare Point.  I made it across Johnston Straight in time to eat my packed lunch and watch the parade cruise by.  The parade was smaller than Port McNeill’s but included floral tractors and people dressed up like salmon. 
After the quaint parade I hitched up my backpack and mounted my bike in search of logging roads to Beare Point Trailhead.  A pleasant ride through town took me to the logging roads maintained by the Quatsino Tribe (I think).  4 kilometers later I passed through Beare Point Campground to the trailhead.  Locking my bike together I threw it into the bushes and hoped for the best.  The trail was peaceful and quite. I meandered along the ocean coast giving glimpses of water views.  The trail led to a rocky beach where whales are known to rise up to rub their bellies.  It was a gorgeous day. The Beare Point hike was topped off with coffee with fellow hikers.  Two strangers had joined camping together for a few days and I stopped by to chat.  It was a great example of Canadian hospitality at their campsite in the cooling afternoon.

Another recent excursion took me to the water in a different way.  Ladies and gentlemen my new favorite mode of transportation is sea kayaking! Well it at least joins the list of mountain bike, city bus transit, and Amtrak train.  I spent a day in Telegraph Cove to go on a day kayaking trip.  I knew that summer was on its way out so I had to help with the send off. Their tourist season was down and so are their prices.  Alas I arrived 30 minutes early anxious not to miss the boat!    

What was planned to be a group trip turned into a person kayak trip. Brian the nice guide had the two boats and me among his charges.  We paddled East along the Vancouver Island coast line.  The tide was super low at times and we could see the many sea creatures on the ocean floor.  Starfish, bull kelp, anemones, fish, and crabs of different colors and sizes were visible below the surface.  Above the surface we witnessed fish jumping, seals coming up for air and porpoises swimming in the surf.  Eagles stared us down from their high branches of pine trees on isolated islands. To top it off the sun was out and the winds were calm.  It was a beautiful day to be on the water and experience BC from the water. 

Adventures continue inside and outside the office :)
Jess








No comments:

Post a Comment