Tuesday, September 15, 2015

That Southern Oregon Life




The Britt Music and Arts Festival in Jacksonville, Oregon 

It is a summer long event that invite top performers to a beautiful Southern Oregon stage. Beginning in 1963, the ongoing opportunity for locals to experience diverse artists and musicians amongst a breathtaking landscape.

Lauren and I attended the Under the Sun Tour featuring: Sugar Ray, Uncle Cracker, Eve 6 and Better than Ezra.  It was a lot of fun!
More recently I attend a Kacey McGraves concert.  She is an up and coming country singer from Texas.  I went with a new friend Erika whom I met through a Meetup - an App designed to meet people.

Mountain Summits

Hiking to the summit of multiple mountains was not something I had expected to undertake this summer.  Alas, the opportunity and enthusiasm for reaching the top peaks in the area inspired me to explore and accomplish.

I hike Mount McLoughlin solo. The 11miles in and out trail was a great experience. I did lose the trail on the way down like many people do.  With my compass and new friend we figured out our way back.
Moutn Eddy was accomplished with my parents. Through patience and perserveance we all made it to the top on a 9 mile in and out excursion.

The Elizabethan Theater
Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Asland, Oregon.
A world renown festival provides excellent access to fantastic artists, actors, musicians, and culture.  For six nights a week the Green Show occurs for free on the Bricks.  They bring in people from all over to perform prior to plays.  It is a chance to see a wide variety of performances including dance groups and musicians of all genres.  I partook often.
Casey Hurt and the Handsome Devils
The plays themselves are superb.  For a student discount at $15 I was able to see several plays including Shakespeare, a musical, an international premiere, and modern time stories.












Outdoor Recreation in SW Oregon
The opportunities to explore in the surrounding hills of the Rogue Valley are endless. Most weekends I would do a day trip to an interesting area.  Some highlights included: 
Mount Eddy,
Mount McLoughlin,
Applegate Valley,
Crater Lake,
Rogue River Trail
There is way more that I didn't get to because the area is so full of awesome recreation! 




No comments:

Post a Comment